Sunday, February 19, 2012

RIOT review

I just finished the Rutgers RIOT tutorial and I have to say it's pretty informative. One of the things I liked most about it was the fact that you actually have to interact with the program, it makes things more interesting and keeps you pay attention. In a way its actually kind of fun and does a good job of appealing to the student. I learned a lot about research going through the program. It first touches on narrowing a research topic down to something thats manageable, yet allowing for enough to be written about. The second subject was using databases such as EBSCO host, which is much more reliable and easier to use than search engines such as google when trying to find sources for a research topic. My favorite thing (which I didn't know about) was Refworks. This seems like it makes citations so much easier by basically doing it for you. It helps you keep tract of your sources and in the end takes a load of during the last minutes before the paper is due. Keeping an organized log of sources is also something that makes things much easier so that you don't lose tract of the all the different sources that you've found. The library offers so much, and I plan to use it to its fullest potential to find the information that I need for my research paper. I like how you can use the database and find articles at no expense to you. I plan on doing the some thing that the videos showed to narrow the topic down to something interesting and easily manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment